Old 28-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Tony Bull

Default Winter pond

(Eshymouse) wrote in message ...
Hello

I wonder if someone can help me. We have a small pond in the garden that did
have 4 lovely goldfish in it. Over the summer they disappeared, not sure what
happened, and we assumed there was nothing in there. However, in September we
noticed 2 little beautiful black baby fish swimming merrily around. They're
only about 2 inches long. My question is what do we do over the winter? Do fish
need feeding in the winter or do we leave them?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Emma

You don't need much aeration in the winter as water at low
temperatures dissolves more oxygen and gold fish being cold blooded
need very little oxygen in the winter as their metabolic rate slows
right down.However if you can keep a hole clear of ice then it allows
any harmful gases to escape. The black fish may not change colour or
they may take from a few weeks to a number of years to change. Leaving
the pump running is probably beneficial overall.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarofuntain.co.uk