Old 28-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai

Hi Mark.

A 30 year old Kingsville boxwood in your landscaping-- what serendipidity...
:-). These slow growers would be rarely chosen for landscaping unless its
focus was miniaturization. I think you'd be better focused on replacing
the soil in the very early spring and arranging its roots than wondering
about bringing it inside to lengthen its growing season. Jim Doyle has had
numbers of these of considerable girth (for Kingsville), and he'd offer
great advice for your area.

In central Virginia, the Kingsville survives the coldest winters well
outside. You must be much colder. I think the several folks who recommend
increased seasonal growth by bringing them inside early really get little
"growth" with Kingsville in indoor culture. What they might get as a
benefit is keeping the plants from going into and out-of an early spring
flush of growth that then could suffer a late frost. I think a cold garage
(that stays cold) would be a beeter answer; unlike Iris, you are not
planning to display it indoors, yet.

Outdoor growth of Kingsville is VERY moderate. Indoor growth must approach
near standstill. Re' impatience, you might consider trading your valuable
Kingsville to Jim Doyle for a faster growing variety. I bet he would be
pleased at the trade, and you might be, as well.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA