Old 28-10-2003, 07:12 PM
joe

Default Tank Top Question

Just a quick clarification, as I think there are some misconceptions...

1) As the OP, I'm not a beginnner aquarist, just a beginner with planted
tanks. I've been keeping fish on and off for 15 years.

2) The stuff I'm using is not 'soil' in the terrestrial use of the word.
Per the manufacturer, it is 'Made from a kiln-fired 100% mineral
substance, contains no peat moss or compost that can break down, cloud
water or float around to clog filters and pumps.'. It doesn't have any
of those things you mentioned either, such as additives.

3) I have stirred it around since it was installed, and while it does
move relatively easily, it settled right back down. No couldiness was
generated, I'm sure in large part because I thoroughly washed it before
putting it in to remove the dust.

Tim

RedForeman ©® wrote:

Are you an advanced aquarist or a beginner? the OP is a beginner, and
wanting to start out with soil covered with flourite.... I know, I've been
told be many that it is a bad idea for a beginner...

Potential problems
Additives in the soil, Potting soil HAS additives, Top Soils don't...
Some have vermiculite, some dont
Some have pesticides, some dont
Some people think you can just add dirt.... wrong.
Some asked about peat... not a good idea either...
Some have urea, MAJOR ammonia problem there... but plants love it...fish
won't.

"Soji John" wrote in message

Most of the soil is denser than water. some of it
(such as the peat) may be lighter. It is true
that once the soil layer is disturbed it will
cause a turbidity problem. I try not to do this
and as of now it hasn't been an issue. Any other
problems that you know of?

Thanks,

-soji

Dunter Powries wrote:

You asked, you got an answer, you argued... fair game.

Seriously, you've got a lighter-than-water substance weighted down by
gravel. How long do you think you can go with having to move a plant,

and

what happens when you disturb the gravel barrier. Better to think of it

now

than later.

Joe Zoolan wrote in message

Dunter...sorry to be so stupid. I guess reporting what I've read in

100

other posts over the past 2 weeks isn't good enough for you. Thanks

for

the constructive feedback...

Tim

Dunter Powries wrote:

joe wrote in message

...the light nature of the stuff, which is resolved with
the gravel layer on top...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Oh, my.