Old 28-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Jim Seidman

Default Tank Top Question

Soji John wrote in message ...
I have heard several of you mention the problem of
soil in aquarium. I have used it with no ill
effects that I know of.

Yes, I've been wondering where all the negativity towards soil comes
from too. I have topsoil (from my backyard) covered with a layer of
sand in my 125 gallon. I did have some trouble with algae the first
two months, but this is hardly unique to soil tanks.

Now that it's settled down, the tank is great. The pH is perfectly
stable, nitrate levels are perfectly stable, plants are growing
vigorously without CO2 injection.

People who are scared of soil should read Diana Walstad's book,
"Ecology of the Planted Aquarium." It explains very well why soil is a
good substrate choice.

- Jim