Old 29-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai

Thanks for the info Chris.

The only reason I think it's a Kingsville, is because my wife has called it
by that name since we planted it many many years ago. She's got a much
better memory for these things than I.
In actuality, it may be any variety of buxus.
I realize Kingsville is a slow grower, however, is a 24 inch tall canopy
more than what should be expected in a 30 year old tree? Like I said, it has
a two inch trunk, but isn't that possible if it's been growing in our yard
for 30 years?
The leaves are 3/8 to 1/2 inch long, light to dark green.
It produced small white flowers this spring after I potted it.

If it wasn't so heavy (20 gallon pot), I'd pack it off for Jim Doyle to have
a look at.
It's currently on rollers and it's all I can do to push it around the patio.
Maybe I'll take it to one of my Natures Way classes in the spring, when I'm
feeling stronger.

In the interim, you've suggested I leave it outside for the winter and
replace the soil and arrange the roots in the early spring. I'd like to
reduce the 24" canopy down to 12 inches before I stick it into a smaller
growing container. The rate of back budding suggests this is possible. When
I exposed the inner branch structure earlier this spring, it sprouted all
over the older wood producing lots of new potential branches!

Should I reduce the canopy before replacing the soil, or do both at the same
time?
Should I stick to the equal parts canopy to roots theory?
Or ..... Should I take it to Jim !!

Thanks for all your help.

Mark