Old 29-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai

In a message dated 10/28/2003 11:38:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Last week someone mentioned that some boxwood don't require a lengthy
dormancy before they'll start to grow again.

My question is,,,, here in Zone 6a (where we've had a few frosty mornings
already) how long should I leave this tree outside before bringing it inside
into a sun-light room, to encourage new growth?
Mark:

Do not bring this into the house. Kingsville will thrive in your neck of the
woods as a true outdoor specimen. Simply place it in a suitable location
along with your other hardy trees, i.e., cold shed, cold house (co-poly covered),
cold frame, etc. If you are using a shed, I would suggest that you bury the
container in mulch to minimize damage from freeze-thaw cycles.

I have a containerized Kingsville (approximately 50 years of age) that I have
been wintering in my cold shed with great success. At this time, the
specimen is still outdoors but under lattice to protect it from excessive frost.

My observation is that most practitioners are overly protective of their
trees in the late fall. My preference is to leave the trees outside and move them
into storage just before the winter freeze.

BTW: I live in Chester Country (PA).

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: