Old 29-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Michael Shaffer

Default Hard lesson learned :(

Sorry for your loss.. Last winter we lost both our Koi when we forgot to
leave a hole in the ice.

Chad wrote:
Two nights ago I began to top-off my pond. It has been under a
hoop-house for about 3 weeks and the water level was around 400 gallons
off. So I pulled out the hose, added a doseage of amquel and started to
fill it up. Well, I got distracted as I was brought into the house to
clean up a present my puppy had just left... then becuase the wife was
cleaning I went on to helping the kids take a bath... and..... I forgot
to shut-off the water. Well, it ran for 10+ hours. I woke up and let
the pup out at 5 am and immediatley new what I did. I saw a bunch of my
koi floating, but I added more amquel anyway... the whole thought of
what happened made me ill. I am the type of person who can't hurt
anything. I catch bee's, flies, spiders or whatever in the house and I
relocated them to outside..... Not only was it a bad way to start a
Monday.. but I also had a 7:30 dental appt. so I couldn't do any else at
that time.

Well, my dental appt. sucked... I thought about not using any pain
medicine becuase of what I did... I then submitted myself to more pain
by going straight to work. After I got home I began the task of putting
my fish to rest. 10 koi, 2 comets, 1 goldfish and a couple pond mutt
babies died. Strange enough... none of my stupid mosquito fish died--
still somewhere around 500 of them. As I was trying to get the last
goldfish (Number 2) out... he moved... I couldn't believe it... I
netted him and placed him in a second pond. So far, he has recovered
well. He was quite active at lunch today munching on some WH.

So, What have I learned.... 1.) I need an auto-shutoff for topping-off
the pond(which I have approval to get). 2.) I will never be able to get
rid of the mosquito fish. 3.) miracles do happen... before this the
couple of goldfish I had in the pond where there because they were
discarded by there previous owner. I didn't want them... didn't really
like them... but I am a sucker and took them anyway. I now appreciate
this little guy and I hope he lives a long happy life for he will serve
as my reminder to what happened.

...May the pond god(s) have mercy on me.

In remembrance of -Mongrol, -Mini Mongrol, -Streak, -Pig Face, -Zip,
-Zap, -Big Blue, -Cally Ko, -Spot, -Dot, -Goldie, -Beauty & -Stupid