Old 29-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai

Thanks Michael / Chris / Martin for all your kind words and advice.

It appears my course of action should be .... Leave the tree (well mulched),
outside or in a cold frame/garage in high humidity conditions until it's
ready to break bud, then reduce the foliage a small amount, and the roots
not at all.

The tree appears happy. Since I "containerized" it last spring, it has
produced dozens of buds, a number of which have appeared in the old wood, at
places suggesting new branches.

From your comments on pot size, it's currently in a large round plastic pot
about 18 inches in diameter and 24 inches deep. I checked the roots earlier
this summer and found them slightly more than half way down the pot, all
happy and white. I'm concerned about drainage because of the typical garden
soil it's growing in. The pot only has a few holes in the bottom. Maybe I'll
drill a bunch more to improve drainage.

I'd like to leave the tree in it's current pot for a few more years until I
can reduce the foliage somewhat. Maybe by that time I can re-pot it into a
large mica training pot (gently placing the fine roots). I have a candidate
that's 18" X 12" X 5" that's currently holding an 20 year old azalea in
training. Who knows, maybe by then the azalea will find a slightly smaller
home.

Chris .... I'd love to drag it over to Jim Doyle for his recommendations,
but unfortunately I don't have a fork lift, nor will it fit in the trunk of
my car! I'd guess it weighs 150 lbs, and the pot/tree combination stands 4
feet tall! And Chris .... The PC problem you had some time ago was a simple
"issue" for me. I'm a long term Beta Tester for Microsoft and I support a
bunch of networked computers. Believe me, when it comes to PC's, I've seen
it all. Bonsai issues are another thing altogether. I'm a newbie with 10 of
Jims courses under my belt. I consider your helpful suggestions far more
than "indecisive advice". Thanks.

Mark

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++