View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai

Without seeing the boxwood we all can't be certain, but it doesn't sound like a
Kingsville boxwood to me. Sounds like one of the hardier species--Korean or English
perhaps. I have never heard of a Kingsville flowering, and the leaves sound too big.

This multitude of answers is making me nervous, because I bought an unmarked boxwood at a freaky little nursery, and I think it is a kingsville (pale yellow-green, small-leaved, fine textured). I'd like to overwinter it successfully. Factoring in everybo
dy's advice, it sounds like I should put it in the barn, but if Dale wants to weigh in, I'll listen to his advice with my usual rapt respect (wink, wink).

Nina. Maryland. Zone 6/7

PS- The freaky nursery was also selling Loropetallum (labeled as Fothergilla, but hey, close enough). I love Loropetallum, I think they are the prettiest shrubs in the whole entire world (I have seen one mediocre Loropetallum bonsai; anyone ever seen a go
od one?), but they are not reliably hardy here. So the question is: indoors? Outdoors with protection? Barn?

Why do we always desire the species that are borderline hardy?

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Lisa Kanis++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++