Old 29-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Rick

Default Can seedlings be kept in garage over winter?

On 29 Oct 2003 20:24:49 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

My sister lives in the country where her and her husband built. She's getting a
neighbor who's cutting down ALL the trees all his property because they're
mis-shapen. Well, let her ask the question:

"So, when he wasn't around last week, I walked onto his property and dug up a
number of very small maple and oak trees. Put them into soil in a big
galvanized tub and put it in the garage. They continue to look very healthy
although they are, of course, changing leaf color and loosing leaves too. Do
you think I could hold them in the garage for the winter as outside, if not in
soil for protection, they'd have a trouble with frost? Thought the garage
temperature would allow them to go dormant yet protect them from frost. I'd
water them every now and then to simulate snow melting for watering. I can't
dig a hole big enough for the tub now as our soil is tough to dig in with all
the stone and tree roots. Thought the garage idea was a good alternative.
And, since they're free, worth the try."

That's what I do with trees I start from seed, or seedlings I dig up.
However, yours were dug before they were dormant and so my suffer from
transplant shock. It's best to dig them up after they go completely
dormant.