Old 29-10-2003, 09:12 PM
RichToyBox

Default Getting ready for winter in NC

I have seen a number of the plants that we have in our water gardens listed
as toxic, but the water hyacinth is not one of them, to my knowledge. The
terrestrial hyacinth Hyacinth (Hyacinth orientalis) bulb is toxic and
should be kept away from dogs, horses and livestock.
--
RichToyBox

"Janet & Hugh" wrote in message
Anne be careful with those water hyacinths and the dogs! Mine got pretty

ill
this summer after stealing one from the pond and eating a portion of it!!
$200 in vet bills later we learned a valuable lesson... they are poisonous
and make for one sick dog. (
Janet
Niagara Falls, ON

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Ron,

I'm in Raleigh, NC -- and that's probably as "comparable" as we'll be,
unless (until?) I ever expand my pond experience beyond the teeny water
garden with a few goldfish. (Water Hyacinths never lasted long enough

turn brown in the fall, thanks to my dogs -- the last ones made it 36
hours or so.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Ron Lawrence" wrote in message
. ..
I spent a couple of hours this afternoon
pulling the brown Hyacinths out of the pond.
It's interesting that the water lettuce is still nice
and green. I moved most of the remaining lettuce
into the veggie filter for now, I know it'll die as soon
as we have a hard freeze.
Next I've got to trim all the tall flowering plants
back below water level. I wonder how long the
Black Taro will live...

I wonder if there are any other members of this
group in the Charlotte NC area?

Happy ponding...

Ron

C.R."Ron"Lawrence