Old 29-10-2003, 10:22 PM
David Hare-Scott

Default Turmeric

"Danny "remove remove"" wrote in message
. ..
A couple of years ago I bought a small piece of turmeric in a grocery
store. I put it in a pot indoors. Leaves sprouted and grew about 18".
Then the tips turned brown. The whole leaves started to wither.

A new set of leaves started growing in the second year. Now they are
healthy.

It will do best if you keep in mind that it is a tropical plant so it
needs the warmest shetered spot with full or nearly full sun you can
find. Keep the water up to it in the warmer months, it will probably go
dormant in winter (often it dies back in coastal Sydney) when it doesn't
need water. It will re-shoot in the spring if you remember to start
watering again. If you grow it well with plenty of sun it will flower
too, the flowers are very pretty.

How do I harvest turmeric. Can I dig out some of it and cut the root
without killing the whole plant?

Yes, try digging a hole next to it and taking some from the side without
disturbing the whole thing. Wear plastic gloves while cutting and
peeling unless you like yellow hands.

Also are the leaves edible?

Yes but they are rather tough. Better used as a wrap, say around baked
meat or fish or something similar. If you want to see what the flavour
is like select some young small leaves which will be more tender.

David