Old 30-10-2003, 02:42 AM
SAS567

Default Tuberous Begonia Advice

I've got some really nice tuberous begonias growing in my garden right
now, and I'd love to see them survive the winter. Do they make good
houseplants, or should I just store their tuber over the winter? At
what point should I lift them from their home in the garden? Before
the first freeze?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Easiest to store the tubers over winter and replant in spring. Pull the
plants from their pots or the ground now and allow them to dry a couple of
days. Once the stems look dry and less fleshy, cut them off and discard,
clean the remaining tuber and store (stem side up) in a shallow tray filled
with dry peat moss in a cool dark place - basement, garage, etc. In late
March/early April or whenever your temps warm up, bring into the light,
water lightly and once you see growth buds developing, pot up and enjoy for
the next season.

pam -gardengal

I have one that I brought in last winter and put it out again this spring. I
put it in a storage room in my walkout basement in front of a N.W. window. I
cleaned it up as it died off. I only watered it maybe 3 times during the entire
winter. I put it out this spring and it was beautiful. I have it in my
diningroom now because it was still blooming when I brought it in and I wanted
to enjoy it. But the flowers are all gone now and it is just struggling to
produce new leaves so I am putting it "to sleep" in the storage room in the
basement tomorrow. I don't dig it up. It stays in the pot it has always been
in.
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5).