Old 30-10-2003, 03:42 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai

Mark,

You might consider repotting next year into a better draining soil in a
shallower pot - i.e. closer to what it will go into once you have trained it
but large enough for continued growth. You can use the same plastic nursery
pot - pull the tree and mulch it in the shade for a couple of hours. Cut
the pot off about 10" above the base and cut vertical slits about 2" long to
make tabs about 1.5" wide around the bottom. Cut a disk of 3/4" thick
exterior grade plywood that will slide down into the pot and fit fairly
tightly just at the top of the tabs. Drill drainage holes in the plywood
staying 2" away from the - I use about 12 1" diameter holes in this pot.
Install the plywood and turn the pot over and nail the bent over tabs to the
bottom of the pot using 3/4" roofing nails. I have had these hold up for at
least 4 - 5 years. You can treat the plywood for rot resistance, but you
will need to wait a few days for the preservative to dry before repotting
the tree. Hey, this might make it small and light enough to haul over to
Jim Doyle's place.

Marty