Old 30-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Zookeeper

Default Getting ready for winter in NC

Chad wrote:
Moving on, my pup ate some copper sulfate from my sons "Grow your Own
Geode" kit a couple weeks ago... now that will kill... she ate just a
tiny bit and was vomiting withing 2 - 3 minutes... lethargic by 15....
talk about a vet bill.... poor girl weighed 4 lbs and they gave her a
sub-dermal IV... injected 2 lbs of water under her skin.... almost
changed her name to quasimoto. They put so much IV in that she sprung a
leak where they injected her. Shot a fluid stream out about 6inches for
about a minute. Funny though... after about 24 hours they water
dispersed under the skin and she was my sumo baby.... talk about a
jiggle when you walk....

Poor baby! We had to give one of our dogs the sub-cutaneous fluid last
year when she had a horrible infection and became dehydrated. It was
great though -- just had to do it once and the fluid stayed there for
2-3 days, gradually being used by her body. Pretty cool stuff. And I
just went through three weeks of sub-c fluids for our poor 11 yo cat;
unfortunately for her it was too little, too late. Developed Addison's
disorder (adrenal gland failure causing body to lose too much potassium)
but slid into a serious infection before we even noticed and even the
antibiotics, sub-c, hand-feeding, and meds couldn't pull her through.
But I'm an expert with that saline solution now, and won't be afraid to
use it for one of the other "zoo" members if necessary. Except maybe the
fish!!! (getting back on topic here, giggle)
--
Zk
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies