Old 30-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Kay Easton

Default Glass mulch

In article , martin
writes
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:10:42 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:16:39 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

3) you may be wrong ;-)

It's still interesting to hear Franz's opinion.

I place the OP's feelings as having higher importance than your
interest.

So Franz should just agree and say how nice etc.?

No. He has no need to say anything. He wasn't being asked his opinion.
But if he does want to give his opinion he can say it's not to his
taste, or what he feels about it, without condemning the taste of the
OP.

Real life isn't like that.

Is it not? No-one has ever told me to my face that I have bad taste. Or
that I have no fashion sense, or that I need a new hairstyle, or a
myriad other things that I am sure are probably true. I think it's known
as good manners.

Just as I would not approve of an uncalled for insult to you, no matter
how interestingly it was phrased.

I'd rather that somebody said what he honestly thought.

When you'd asked what they thought, maybe .. but if you were to ask me,
for example, where you could buy insert some garden ornament in poor
taste, do you really want to hear my opinions of your abilities in
garden design, good taste, or whatever?

And while you may be confident enough to stand by your own opinions in
the face of criticism, not everyone is. It is difficult in usenet to
know how people feel, especially on a first posting, and they may be
deeply upset by what you regard as honest opinion. In RL, you have some
chance to judge this, and you get instant feedback on the effect of your
remarks, and can do something to mitigate the damage.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: