Old 30-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Pepino Dulce

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Victoria
Clare writes
A while ago I posted about a blue-flowered 'melon tree' which I'd seen
advertised - later discovered to be 'pepino dulce', an edible solanum.

Well, I ordered one. Unfortunately the suppliers did not answer the
questions I sent with my order about what variety it was, or where I

could
find out more.

I was expecting something tomato-esque, but this is more of a classic
solanum, with dark, faintly shiny leaves with paler ribs.

So you've made me think ...
Tomato is Lycopersicum. Blue is a colour that pops up frequetnly in
Solanum - woody nightshade, aubergine etc.
Are there any Lycopersicum with blue flowers?

I am a pessimist. There are so many poisonous members of the Solanum tribe
that I would be more than worried about eating any one other than the
commonly culivated ones like potatos and tomatos.

Franz