Old 31-10-2003, 10:13 AM
bigboard

Default What are you growing new from seed this year?

Robert wrote:
: The catalogues have started to arrive...
:
: What are you growing from seed this year, and why?

I am growing mostly the same but ensuring that I cover the leeks and carrots
with fleece next year to avoid the destruction of the crops by the leek moth
and carrot fly respectively. Any other tips welcome. I am trying new types
of pumpkins as I have bought, online, a mixed pack of weird looking ones
from http://www.seedsofitaly.co.uk/

John Seymour recomends scattering soot to deter these pests. I haven't
tried it, but I'm going to have a go this year. There was also some
bloke on the Gardener's World allotment special a while back who swore
by earthing up his carrots to prevent carrot fly. Seems suspiciously
simple to me, but again, I'm going to try it.