Old 31-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Michael Savage

Default What are you growing new from seed this year?

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Victoria Clare wrote:

The catalogues have started to arrive...

What are you growing from seed this year, and why?

Well, last year I grew a couple of really nice peas - Lathyrus
chlorantha, with lemon yellow flowers, and a variety of L sativa with
'steel blue' flowers - both so nice that I shall be looking for other
Lathyrus sp when Chilterns catalogue arrives.

And some Lithops - some damned snail ate my last year's crop.

Salvia - one of my chilterns 'mixed perennials' turned out to be a
beautiful salvia with dusky pinky purple flowers, a beautiful colour, so
this is an area to explore further.

And it's about time I got to grips with identification of grasses in the
wild, so I shall buy some named grass seed to be sure I have a firm
identification to start with ... I find a lot of my plant growing is not
so much to provide something nice for the garden, but to find out about
the growth habit and the looks of a particular plant. .. sort of .. one
step further than looking it up in a book.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

That's an interesting idea Kay (speaking as someone - ie qualified
ecologist -who should know their grasses but doesn't). Do you think this
could be expanded? Mail order eggs to raise Little Brown Birds from?

Michael S