Old 31-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Cerumen

Default compost heap question

"Shannie" wrote in message
During the winter I burn only peat briquettes. I don't burn coal or

anything
else on the fire. The result of which is two buckets of very dusty peat

ash
per week. Is it alright to add this to the compost heap or would it

upset
the balance too much? Is there any other way I could use it? Also, now

the
weather has cooled right off is it still essential to 'activate' the

heap as
often as during the summer?

I also only burn peat and the ash has always stayed as just ash in any
small compost heat I've added it to. When I had chickens I used to put it
in their field or house and they loved it as a dust bath and it was then
incorporated into the very large and active heaps created when the
straw/manure/ash mixture was removed and heaped.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork