Old 31-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Runner bean seeds

"Therefore" wrote in
:

Ideas please , I have grown, red rum, white emergo, and pink flowered
sunset.

Will these have cross pollinated or can I save these seeds and still
have seperate types.

These varieties are self pollinating and do very well, so would be
good use the saved seeds.

I think they will almost certainly not breed true, assuming they were
planted within bee-distance - though that doesn't mean that they will not
produce worthwhile offspring.

I suspect if you plant them you'll get quite a few varying types, though
probably none of them will be quite what you planted last year.

Bean seeds seem to have good 'lasting power' so if you buy a big pack of
each you can grow them for several years, and germination rates don't seem
to fall off before you empty the bag (I suppose that depends how big the
bag is! I've done 4 years from the same bag OK before now.)

Victoria Clare