Old 31-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default compost heap question

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| I will never, never understand the mysteries of this practice. Who lays
| down the do's and don'ts? Is there some democratically elected committee,
| or do the rules come from on high? Or does every member of the movement
| just invent them as they go?

Yes, or no, or perhaps. It depends on your viewpoint.

| Considering that Phurnacite is coal which is decomposed and compressed
| plant material, why is the use of its ash taboo, whilst that of wood is
| kosher? I know the answer, of course, but it has nothing to do with
| "organic" or "not organic".

If you take that viewpoint to extremes, most plastics are derived
from plant material.

| Or consider the following: Wood ash is OK. What is the situation
| vis-a-vis wood which has first been converted into coke by heat and
| subsequently burnt as coke? Is this ash "organic" or "not organic"?

Don't you mean charcoal? Coke is derived from coal.

From a practical point of view, there is little difference between
wood ash, peat ash and charcoal ash. None will do any harm on a
mixed compost heap, in moderation. Large quantities should be
spread directly on the ground.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.