Old 31-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Martin Brown

Default compost heap question

In message , Shannie
writes
During the winter I burn only peat briquettes. I don't burn coal or anything
else on the fire. The result of which is two buckets of very dusty peat ash
per week. Is it alright to add this to the compost heap or would it upset
the balance too much? Is there any other way I could use it? Also, now the
weather has cooled right off is it still essential to 'activate' the heap as
often as during the summer?

You do realise that burning peat for heat and power is actually far
worse for the environment than using it as compost for gardening?

Peat ash can concentrate elements that you don't really want to add to
your garden. Change to renewable wood burning instead and you would
have a nice alkaline potash fertiliser.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown