Old 03-02-2003, 04:56 PM
R & L Porter

Default New DAwn

"Brian Ouimet" wrote in message
om...
Hi I live in Cornwall Ontario zone 5. We are on the border of New York
State. I am considering growing the climbing rose New Dawn. Has anyone
in that area grown that rose. If so did it need any special winter
protection or can it be treated like the explorer roses. Tahnks in
advance for any help.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I live in southern New Brunswick, zone 5, on the border of Maine.
I have had New Dawn for three years -- this will be its fourth
summer coming up. The first year it didn't do much, put out roots.
The second year it's canes grew quite long, but didn't flower
much. Last year it put on quite a show, considering I do not
have it in the best of locations. I don't winter protect, but we
have been getting lots of snow cover the past few winters.
I do take the canes down in the late Fall, so the snow covers
most of the cane. There is little to no die-back.

I hope this helps.

Laura