Old 31-10-2003, 08:32 PM
dstvns

Default Holly in nothwest NJ?

Hello,

My sister got married this past weekend in Richmond, VA. She picked a
very nice grotto in a very mature hardwood stand. It was like a home
away from home for me, because that's all that grows around here -
oaks, yellow poplars, etc.

But the big difference down there were the abundant american hollies.
They stuck out so nicely, with the shiny green leaves, smooth gray
bark and bright red berries. They were so abundent down there I was
hoping to bring some back, so I picked a couple dozen red berries and
brought them home, 250 miles to the north.

I was wondering if anyone's had good luck growing hollies in northern
areas. I've heard they're tolerant to zone 5 (my yard is in the 5/6
border). I was just wondering if there are any success stories. I
also have a bottomland-type area where they'll be sheltered from wind
and get plenty of water.

Thanks very much,
Dan
nw NJ