Old 31-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default growing actinidia from seed

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

I found standard kiwi fruit (probably 'heyward') easy to germinate from
seed, but had no luck with other actinidias, including actinidia arguta.

Has anyone grown these plants from seed, and if so, what approach did you
use?

I had an ornamental actinidia (kolomikta) which self-seeded itself
into our gravel drive after a cold wet Scottish winter. That suggests
you might succeed sowing them in fine grit, or very-gritty soil-based
compost, and giving the seed pot a spell in the fridge (in a plastic
bag) to stimulate germination.

Janet.