Old 31-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Pepino Dulce

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes
"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

I am a pessimist. There are so many poisonous members of the Solanum
tribe that I would be more than worried about eating any one other
than the commonly culivated ones like potatos and tomatos.

Solanum muricatum has been in cultivation for a very long time: it's an
Inca crop.

In fact, I think that makes it a longer-established edible than the

tomato,
which I understand was bred into edibility quite recently (C16th or so).

An awful lot of the Solanums are eaten - apart from the ones we've
discussed in urg -

S aethiopicum
s agrarium
S aviculare
S duplosinuatum
S ellipticum
S macrocarpon
S pierreanum
S piliferum
S quitoense
S saniwongsei
S topiro
S trifolorum
S uporo
- fruits of all these are eaten

S anomolum
S diversifolium
S torvum
- fruits used as condiment

S andigenum
S fendleri
S jamesii
- tubers are eaten

.. and that's without even looking at any of the other Solanacaea genera

That was the most interesting post I have read for a very long time.
I shall print it.

Franz