Old 01-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Cyclamen from seed

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

(Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:46:21 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

I now have a number of healthy 2-year old cyclamen plants in pots

They aren't huge though. Is it too early to plant them out into the
garden, or would they benefit from another year's cossetting in pots
first?

Plant them out. In my experience, cyclamen don't do anything like
as well in pots as they do in the ground.

Aaargh - now I have a dilemma. Perhaps I should plant out half, or use a
'growing on' bed.

Victoria

As long as your planting conditions are right they should be fine
planted out. They're pretty tough and survive well. You mentioned dry
shade which sounds ideal, so I don't think there will be a problem.
The only problem I have occasionally had when planting them out in
coldish conditions is that blackbirds can pull small plants up. If you
have active blackbirds it's quite a good idea to put some wire mesh or
equivalent over the top for the first few weeks.

Janet G