Old 01-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Cyclamen from seed

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.222...
"Philip" wrote in news:3fa16fda$0$118
:

Sorry for the OT question .... but ...Did you buy the seed or collect it
from existing plants?

If bought what variety and supplier did you use.

I bought the seed from Chiltern Seeds.

In theory they are supposed to be cyclamen coum, but I am fairly sure that
they are all coum except one, which is hederifolium. The hederifolium

came
up faster and more robust than the 'coum'.

If you try it, don't give up quickly. They take ages to germinate (in
fact, I only discovered this because I was lazy and failed to clear out

the
seed tray which I had assumed had 'not worked'.

The (suspected) hederifolium came up in the first year of planting, but

the
rest waited an entire year before they decided to germinate.

Victoria

I have always found fresh seed germinates in a few weeks, just wash the goo
off and sow in pots outside and by spring its up. as for growing it on, it
seems to take ages in pots and is much faster out in the ground (although
you will have some losses)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk