Old 01-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Tuberous Begonia Advice

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Once the stems look dry and less fleshy, cut them off and discard,
clean the remaining tuber and store (stem side up) in a shallow tray

filled
with dry peat moss in a cool dark place - basement, garage, etc.

Is the idea to envelope the tuber completely in peat moss, or set the
tuber in a shallow layer of peat moss that will soak up any moisture?

I'm guessing this same technique works for dahlia tubers.

-F

Dahlia tubers need *some* moisture when overwintered - begonia tubers prefer
to remain dry. I omitted the drying part before storing in a shallow tray of
peat moss
Just nestle the tubers into the peat - they don't need to be buried. In your
location, I'd leave dahlias in the ground overwinter (I do up here in zone
8, PNW), but the begonias will need additional care.

pam - gardengal