Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
hermine stover

Default Does anyone not like The Orchid Thief?

On 19 Sep 2003 23:58:31 -0700, (Em) wrote:

This was one bad book. It oozed badness out of every pore.
Should have been printed on softer paper.

well that last statement made me laugh, which is a kind of miracle
since....when i first read this it was a chapter published in The New
Yorker and i realized it was about the villain who had swindled me and
my friends out of MANY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS, with a carefully planned
and elaborate method, which defied our best efforts to obtain actual
justice. I almost had a COW when i realized about whom i was reading,
in The New Yorker. And when it got made into a movie some years later,
the rafters resounded with my screams.
ALSO it was horribly written. the writer seemed to have a nauseating
schoolgirl crush on the VILLAIN. whom she described as oddly handsome
despite being toothless.

Well, i could rant more, but i will spare you all. The Orchid Thief
was involved in poaching some Florida Panthers, an animal so rare, (if
not . by now, actually extint, that even sightings of it are seldom
reported.

hermine