Old 02-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Franz Heymann

Default what am i doing wrong

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

The ABC turned up today as usual, K. My isp weeds out spammed

adverts,
but evidently doesn't identify endless repetitions of the ABC as such.
Possibly yours does? Or your newsreader settings do?

The spam which, according to you, your ISP is weeding, is from your

email.

Wrong. I was referring to usenet spam, as the context makes obvious.
Don't assume that anyone else here shares your ignorance and confusion.

I find your extreme unpleasantness quite offensive and childish. My guess
is that other urglers also do so.

But to continue: I presume then that the spam of which you speak is what I
call multiply crossposted items to newsgroups. Yes, they do appear, but at
a relatively low rate. My way to deal with them is to simply ignore them.
It works.

Usenet is an entirely different internet activity.

Usenet is also full of spammed (multiply-posted) adverts and other
unwelcome material such as binaries posted to non-binary newsgroups,

Those binary occurrences are rarities, usually perpetrated by newbies who do
not yet know the ropes.

which competent news-servers delete to save bandwidth and assist their
clients.

Indeed, yes. It is their duty to do so, since usenet is a text only
acticity.

My isp zetnet provides free, and operates, the excellent news
server I use called zimacs.

How did you manage to persuade your ISP to remove spam? A few days ago

we
had a discussion in which some folk maintained that such an arrangement

was
illegal, since both sender and receiver were supposed to agree that the

ISP
may do a bit of cleaning up.

That discussion was about multiple EMAIL virus attack, not usenet spam.

Zetnet is highly responsive to its clients and fosters good relations
and information between management and users via internal newsgroups.
When many zetnet users requested server-level blocking of the email
viral bombardment, there was a newsgroup discussion, then zetnet took
full legal advice before solving the problem PDQ.

That is very interesting.

Franz