Old 02-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default what am i doing wrong

In article , Victoria
Clare writes

If you have a shredder, shredded hedge clippings also make a good mulch,
and can look very neat. I tend to stick a layer over my other mulches so
people can see my efforts are deliberate!

After a while you get a nice thick buildup of rotted mulch (which the
plants like much better than my thin stony soil!)

Victoria don't you find that rotting clippings would take the nitrogen
from the soil? I always thought that it had to be well rotted or the
action of the decay locks up valuable minerals in the soil. On the other
hand if it's on top of a layer of well rotted stuff perhaps it doesn't
matter?

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy