Old 02-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Kenni Judd

Default shade cloth

Here in south Florida, some trees are fully deciduous [e.g., plumeria] and
others tend to "thin out" a little but don't drop all their leaves.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Jonathan Phua" wrote in message
Well, orchids are found to be growing in tropical regions. And do tropical
trees even experience winter? At least the trees in my garden don't shed
their leaves, and I do not experience winter. I live in tropical

Singapore.

Jon

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Actually, many trees do shed some or all of their leaves in winter. An
increase in light for the winter benefits many orchids, most notably

several
of the Dens [or whatever they're being called these days] which take a

dry
winter rest -- aggregatum, parishii, superbum, pierardii ...

However, removing your 50% shadecloth would be a very drastic change and

would be afraid of some severe sunburn. Removing the 20% would be a

better
change, light-wise, but doesn't sound practical if I'm visualizing your
setup correctly.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Jonathan Phua" wrote in message
Well, I don't think you shld remove it. Orchids in the wild get the

same
'shade cloth' throughout the year. The trees don't shed their leaves

when
there is less sun.

Jon
"Bolero" wrote in message
u...
Depends on what you are growing but to be honest I really really

doubt
would take the shade off it if you have any light sensitive plants.

Anything like Paphs and Masd's for example would be damaged but

Laelia's
and
Vanda's would probably be ok.

"bb" wrote in message
Ok, do you folks in Florida remove your shade cloth this time of

year?

I have 50% cloth on top of 20% polycarb panels. It did a

wonderful
job of shading and bringing the temps down, but now I wonder if it
should come off 'til spring. Opinions appreciated.

bb