Old 02-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Daylily growers?

The message
from "Willow" contains these words:

(snip)
I am located in the north-eastern third of the US, near Lake Erie. We have
adequate precipitation most years. July and August is sometimes very hot
and dry. I am located just across the lake from the south border of
Ontario, Canada. Temperatures here range from 80 F. [26 C] up to 100 F. [37
C] during summer and down to -10 F [-23 C] in the winter months. Though I
have seen -19 F [-28 C] in winter it is not the norm. I can't over winter
tender perennials.

Thanks for that, it's interesting to know just what you're gardening
in. I didn't know daylilies could survive that degree of cold!

I've recently planted one called,iirc, Snowy Eyes..haven't seen it in
flower yet but it's supposed to be white with a purple eye, do you know
it? Any tips? I'd also like some really deep purple ones, and some dark
(almost blackish) red ones, if you could recommend some names please.
Our garden is near the sea (mild damp climate) so I need varieties that
can stand up to wind and salt.

Janet(Isle of Arran, Scotland)