Old 02-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Bevan Price

Default Mealy bug on cacti

"Mushtywoof" wrote in message
. ..
SCREAM

I went into my greenhouse today and spotted mealy bug on a handful of
cacti.........how can i get rid of them ? I have a can of spray stuff

(cant
recall the name offhand) but it says to 'water well prior to spraying'.

As
the cacti are now to be kept dry till spring what can i do ? There are

too
many for me to pick them off, i havent got that much time free!

I like to be 'organic' so dont routinely spray to debug 'just in
case'.....is this my downfall ?

If the cacti are sufficiently robust, I would risk getting them wet, and try
to physically remove as many as possible of the mealy bugs by holding the
affected areas under a fast runnning cold water tap, or blast the affected
areas with a water jet from a garden spayer. Wear gloves and hold the pot
and plant approximately horizontal during spraying to minimise the amount of
water landing on the soil / compost in the pot. This may remove most of the
mealy bugs, leaving just a few to remove by hand.

Drain as much water as possible from the pot when you have finished, and
maybe allow the compost to dry in your house before putting the plants back
in your greenhouse.