Old 02-11-2003, 09:12 PM
JNJ

Default Bats Brought In To Battle Mosquitos

Well, this is silly. Bats like to eat beefy moths and other larger flying
insects. They do eat mosquitoes, but not nearly the amount people'd have

you
believe.

Oh, I don't know about that -- bats DO eat mosquitoes although it's not the
only thing in their diet of course. The very fact that the park district is
actually using a natural approach to pest control is encouraging -- it's
unusual in this area (highly unusual). Our mosquito problems have become
pretty bad in this area and deforestation is becoming a greater and greater
issue. While I doubt putting up bathouses is going to solve the skeeter
problem, it's a worthwhile experiment and it has the added benefit of
providing a habitat to the bats. I'll try to keep an eye out for how
successful (or unsuccessful) they report it to be -- I just hope they don't
expect results now and that they at least set the bathouses up properly.
Sigh

James