Old 02-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default New Garden - much excitement

The message
from "Heather" contains these words:

(snip description)

Making a new garden is a lot of fun, and that sounds like a good site.

There are almost no plants worth keeping - this suits me as I have brought
about 100 pots with me from the old place! Among the highlights (!) are
three massive clumps of pampas grass (yuk), half a dozen assorted spirea
(not pruned for years), half a dozen assorted boring shrubs (i.e. don't
appear to have flowered and have no autumn colour) and a massive laurel
hedge.

I wouldn't turf out the boring shrubs until they have been identified;
they might be something special. Maybe winter flowerers :-)

In one of my ex-gardens my successor employed a jobbing gardener who
couldn't identify large specimens of hamamelis, viburnum bodnantense
(both leafless) and garrya elliptica (out of flower), so he "pruned"
them all to 6" stumps :-(

With luck you might find some good bulbs coming up later.

Pampas can be a fine architectural plant in the right setting so I
wouldn't rush to get rid of that either; have you seen Beth Chatto's
gardening books where she uses pampas in shrub groups?

Janet.