Old 03-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Dragoncarer

Default Does anyone not like The Orchid Thief?

hermine stover wrote:

On 19 Sep 2003 23:58:31 -0700, (Em) wrote:

This was one bad book. It oozed badness out of every pore.
Should have been printed on softer paper.

well that last statement made me laugh, which is a kind of miracle
since....when i first read this it was a chapter published in The New
Yorker and i realized it was about the villain who had swindled me and
my friends out of MANY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS, with a carefully planned
and elaborate method, which defied our best efforts to obtain actual
justice. I almost had a COW when i realized about whom i was reading,
in The New Yorker. And when it got made into a movie some years later,
the rafters resounded with my screams.
ALSO it was horribly written. the writer seemed to have a nauseating
schoolgirl crush on the VILLAIN. whom she described as oddly handsome
despite being toothless.

Well, i could rant more, but i will spare you all. The Orchid Thief
was involved in poaching some Florida Panthers, an animal so rare, (if
not . by now, actually extint, that even sightings of it are seldom
reported.

hermine

You know...I'd have to agree that it was really quite poorly written.

All the same, it got me interested in Orchids. Up until that point, I'd
alwasy thought 'who'd buy a plant that's nothing but a few flowers.
Wow...how so very unexciting'. But then a few weeks after finishing the
book, I couldn't stop myself from strolling into the Orchid section in
Gardenworld...and, well, that's that. Here I am, now, a burgeoning orchid
lover.

I think what was most annoying was how she would repeat everything at
least three times...I think it was just to bulk the book up a bit. And
that nasty man...surely no-one can agree with either his ethics or his
justifications...