Old 03-11-2003, 01:42 AM
animaux

Default Bats Brought In To Battle Mosquitos

Gone to hide in the bush for the night? Most moths are night flying insects.
I'm happy your area is trying to use ecology for a situation, but it serves no
purpose to give misinformation. Bats do NOT eat mosquitoes out of the air like
that. Not at the rate you seem to think.

The bats which night roost on our property are continuously eating moths, and
beetles by the street light. I watch them nightly. Many bats have not left the
area for their migration to Mexico. Many of the males stay all winter. Bats do
most of their eating at very high elevations...where it would be rare to find a
mosquito.

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:45:05 GMT, "Tina Gibson" opined:

Here we are trying to encourage all of these things but bats as well. I love
them - they come out a dusk when the birds are settling down and you can
watch them swooping around eating the mosquitos!! You know it's mosquitos
or the occasional moth depending on the time of year, because most of the
other flying insects are gone to hide in the bush for the night. The

"David Hill" wrote in message
I would have thought that trying to encourage Swallows , Swifts and House
Martins would be of more use.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries