Old 03-11-2003, 10:13 AM
jane

Default Greenhouse question

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 01:03:20 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

~Nothing wrong with an East facing conservatory, in fact in the Summer it
~could be a benefit as it wont get so hot in the afternoon sun.
~Being a lean to it will be easier to put electric in if you want to boost
~the heat in the winter.
~

My 9' long conservatory's north-facing, and only gets sun at the top
end (northernmost) at midday in summertime as the sun peeks over the
house. Of course it gets some east and west sun too (what makes it
past the surrounding trees). And gets upto 35C regularly (even before
this year!).

If it's east-facing then you'll get sun at midday from the side, so
it'll still get pretty hot... do make sure you've got plenty of
louvres!

The only real problem would likely be heating in winter - you'll
probably need some if you're overwintering pelagoniums etc. And a
decent max/min thermometer.

plug of thing I've found useful
I can recommend one of these digital thermometers if anyone likes
gadgets or are stuck for Christmas presents! The remotes are water
resistant.

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/othr_sub.html

I've got a MTR102 (£20) with an extra sensor and have one in the
garden, one in the cold frame and the base unit in the conservatory.
You get beeped at if it goes under 3C in the primary sensor location
or at the base unit and it stores max/min for all locations.
The best use of mine was when I unplugged the heater once in December
to do the hoovering of dropped leaves and forgot to plug it back in
again. At 2am the base started beeping and woke my SO. I'd have lost
all my overwintering plants if I hadn't gone and plugged the heater
back in rapidly...

--
jane

Mark Twain