Old 03-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default I have the answer to reducing evaporation

Hi Matt,

Point well taken. I'll have this info added to the FAQ. Wind can be
more than 3 miles per hour and the product will still work. I should have
said moving ripply water more than 3 mph like you find in a water fall
wouldnt work.

Sam

"MattR" wrote in message
"Bio degradable and non-toxic" is probably a good phrase you should put
somewhere on your web site. The 40% is also a good idea seeing as how
there are no numbers on your web site.

I can see this in an aquarium but in my pond most of the evaporation
occurs when the wind is blowing, and I'm close enough to Wyoming that
it's more than 3 miles/hour. It's more like 10-30mph for an average
windy day. The other thing that really increased evaporation is when I
had turbulent flow between my prefilter and biofilter. I could feel the
humidity from 5 feet away and this had nothing to do with the surface
area of the pond.

So, I'll pass, but good luck.

Matt

Sam Hopkins wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the questions. The membrane is O2 and CO2 permeable.

It
reduces evaporation of water molecules. You are correct that evaporation
reduction probably will not occur in your waterfall and it definitely

wont
when your water is blown into the air if you have a fountain. Any moving
water that is over 2-3 miles per hour will not be protected. However,

most
waterfalls enter into one side of the pond. At the point where the water
would flow down and penetrate through the surface there would be no
protection, because as you state the surface is disrupted by a lot of

force.
What would be protected is the rest of the pond. So if your pond was say

20
square feet and the waterfall disrupted 2 square feet when it

re-entered,
you'd still have protection on the remaining 18 square feet. Remember,
evaporation is based on water surface area.

It smoothes waves from the wind by reducing surface tension. So to

visualize
it think about the wind blowing over your water surface and slipping

over it
opposed to pulling it and forming a wave. The product is non-toxic and
bio-degradable and has no impact to the eco-system.

We don't have an independent analysis but that's a good idea, thanks.

Evaporation reduction is up to 40%. To me at least, $9.99 for 40% less
topoffs is worth it.
Remember, this product is not meant to be placed into your pond and

totally
eliminate all water maintenance. It is meant to reduce it and give you

more
time to enjoy your fish.

Sam