Old 03-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Reputable seed companies

jen wrote:

www.gurneys.com

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
I am searching for a good seed company to order seeds from...

I used to order from Gurney's but I now have too many seed companies
that I order from, so I have cut back to save on shipping and service
charges. Most of my order goes to Johnny's (http://www.johnnyseeds.com),
Fedco (http://www.fedcoseeds.com), Stokes (http://www.stokeseeds.com),
and Harris (http://www.harrisseeds.com). I also order from Parks
(http://www.parkseed.com) Veseys (http://www.veseys.com) [Canadian/US],
Pinetree (http://www.superseeds.com/home.htm), New England Seed Co
(http://www.neseed.com). Occasionally a few others. I have had no
problems with any of the above. I'm sure there are lots of other good
ones that I haven't tried.

Johnny's, Fedco, and Pinetree are in Maine and know about what grows in
the Northeast. Pinetree is inexpensive, but the seed packages are
somewhat small. Fine for the homeowner, but annoying for commercial
growers. I have specific varieties I want, so it takes a lot of
suppliers to fill out my order. If one supplier had everything their
catalog would probably be like a phone book.

The only thing I used to order from Gurneys that I can't get elsewhere
was a pumpkin. An ugly thing with a strongly netted skin, but the flesh
was great for pies and was low on the stringy scale. However, I don't
have time to make pies anymore.