Old 03-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default New Garden - much excitement

The message
from "Heather" contains these words:

Pampas can be a fine architectural plant in the right setting so I

wouldn't rush to get rid of that either; have you seen Beth Chatto's
gardening books where she uses pampas in shrub groups?

Janet.

I haven't seen the book no - any idea which one?

Can't remember which one and can't easily check. Although we've been
here a year most of the books are still in boxes :-((((( and the ones
that aren't are washing around in the general chaos that still prevails.
We're still at the stage where it has to get worse before it can get
better, sigh.

Beth Chatto books include The Damp Garden, The Dry Garden, The Green
Tapestry (most likely bet for pampas remarks).. I think there's another
called Gardening Notes, and one I didn't enjoy quite so much because of
the over-contrived format, something along the lines of "letters to a
gardening friend". Most libraries stock her books, well worth reading
especially when starting a new garden, for her knowledge of plants and
views on design.

Janet