Old 03-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Pat Brennan

Default shade cloth

Not being from Fla I was not going to respond, but after surveying the
sunburn damage I did last week while changing the plastic on one of my
greenhouses I thought I would chime in. Here in Va the peak summer sun is
about 10,500 foot candles while the peak in the winter is around 8,500.
Assuming it is similar down there (I have no idea) and given that you were
running 60% shade, your summer light levels peaked at about 4200 foot
candles. If you remove the 50% shade cloth your winter levels would peak at
6800 foot candles. That's a pretty big increase (62%), some plants might
love it but it will burn others right up. Do you have enough plants that
will love it to shade the rest? With sunburn you can do permanent leave
damage pretty quickly and too much light will stress a plant over the winter
even if you do not burn the leaves. I increase light levels no more than
20% to 30% in the winter. Too bad it wasn't 50% polycarb and 20% shade
cloth cause then it would work great.

Pat

"bb" wrote in message
Ok, do you folks in Florida remove your shade cloth this time of year?

I have 50% cloth on top of 20% polycarb panels. It did a wonderful
job of shading and bringing the temps down, but now I wonder if it
should come off 'til spring. Opinions appreciated.

bb