Old 03-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Gareth Jones

Default National Botanic Garden of Wales

In article , David Hill david@abacusn
urseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
They have had a lot of funding including an additional 1/4 of a Million
pounds from the Welsh assembly, and now a further 1/4 million Half from the
local council and the other half from The Welsh assembly again.
This is on top of all the grants (Lottery etc) to get them set up in the
first instance.

I missed this thread a month ago when it came around, so apologies for
joining so late.....

But there was an announcement today that the gardens had accepted an
offer of a (relatively) small amount of funding to keep it going (for a
while at least)

I don't know all the facts, but I'm under the impression that other
botanic gardens in this country receive massive funding on an annual
basis from the government. I don't think the NBGOW money comes anywhere
close so 'a lot of funding' is perhaps not correct in this context.

I'm fortunate in living only about ten minutes drive away and I've been
three or four times this year. I knew it was going to be a long term
project (as is any garden) but I've been very pleasantly surprised as to
how much work they've done and how well things have come on in the last
two years. (And its so annoying that the TV news pictures are archived
and show it as it WAS when it was first opened!!)

Its a very nice day out now. In years to come its going to be
tremendous. Even if it can't self-fund itself, I just can't understand
why the government isn't stepping in to keep it going on a permanent
basis.
Must be some political reasoning I'm not aware of methinks!

Gareth Jones

"Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

To email, remove the '_ns_' from