Old 04-11-2003, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

Default Digging a new pond

New pond, great. As for the sun and shade, it would probably be better the
other way around, but the pond will do fine.

As for the digging and the slope away from the house, always throw the dirt
downhill. This raises the lower end to make the pond level. Even the
uphill side needs a little more dirt to raise the edge to keep runoff out of
the pond. If the slope is large, as was mine, you may only have to dig half
a hole. My larger pond has only one shovel depth of digging on the low
side, and yet it is about 3 1/2 feet deep. The digging from the uphill side
was used to build a berm and then landscape blocks used to hold that dirt
up.
--
RichToyBox

"animaux" wrote in message
My husband doesn't know it, yet, but I plan to dig a hole for a liner and

make a
larger pond. This situation is different in that where I want to put the

pond
is in full sun in summer, but mostly shade in winter. Will that effect
anything?

In that spot, the slope is about 5 degrees away from the house. I suppose

on
the shallow end I would imitate a "beach" so would have to figure a way to

keep
the edge up enough so the pond doesn't just pour off. Any suggestions?

I can do the research, and I will, but if anyone actually has this

situation
please let me know what you did.

Victoria