Old 04-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Paul Isaacs

Default walnut tree question

I have a young black walnut tree growing in my garden in western
Massachusetts, probably 6-9 years old (just guessing). There's the main
trunk, about 6" in diameter, and then two small 'trunks,' about 2" in
diameter, attached to the main trunk at ground level. Should I prune the
small trunks out? The tree had been attacked until recently by bittersweet,
clogging up completely its upper branches. Perhaps this is the reason for
the extra trunk growth. Again just guessing as I know nothing much about
walnut trees and articles on the internet do not deal with their early
growth.