Old 04-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Mark Fawcett

Default National Botanic Garden of Wales

"K" wrote in message ...
"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
SNIP:
: Its a very nice day out now. In years to come its going to be
: tremendous. Even if it can't self-fund itself, I just can't understand
: why the government isn't stepping in to keep it going on a permanent
: basis.
: Must be some political reasoning I'm not aware of methinks!
:
: --
: __________________________________________
: Gareth Jones
:
Possibly because they feel that the welsh can't have it both ways ie
nationalism when it suits them, or because they feel there are more
important things to spend money on ie health, education, social services
etc.

I'm not a political animal so I am not advocating the rights or wrongs of
this argument, just suggesting a possible reason..

Why is Eden in Cornwall a success? Because its sold to people via
advertising and "free" features on the telly. Its certainly no cheaper
to get in to.
This was brought home to me a couple of weeks ago when I saw a tourist
ad for Scotland followed back to back by a Welsh tourist ad. You've
probably all seen them.
The Scots one sold a concept of Scotland, all heather, mountains, warm
cosy log fires and romance.
The Welsh one ran along the lines of "Come to Wales, its jolly nice" I
know which one attracted me and I live in Wales.
Until the Welsh tourist board gets its act together the NBCW and most
other Welsh attractions are never going to succeed. Im not suprised
its failing, how many times have you seen it featured on TV?

Mark