Old 04-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Christopher Norton

Default Growing asparagus

The message
from "Kevin Markland" contains these words:

We are planning to start growing a few vegetables in our garden and I'd like
to grow those things that are either expensive in the shops or really
benefit from being fresh from the ground. Asparagus seems to fit the bill on
both counts but on reading about it it seems incredibly difficult to get
established and a long time before you get a useful crop. Are there any
shortcuts I can take, such as buying or begging established crowns? As an
aside are there any must haves that are vastly better when eaten fresh from
the garden? We only have a small plot about 30 feet by 15 feet so it has to
work quite hard.
Thanks.

Asparagus is remarkably easy to grow. Do not have to buy crowns as you
can easily get seed. Just takes a year longer than one year old crowns.
Your looking at basically 3 years before you can pick them if grown from
seed. If your a bit less patient than that then 2 year old crowns are
available to hurry it along a bit but I`d still look at 2 years to let
the thing establish. The difference in taste from fresh picked to the
stuff in the shops is unreal. However, it does need room. My asparagus
bed down the allotment is 4m by 4m and will have about 35 crowns in it.
If you want a good supply of it you need quite a few crowns. Another
good reason for seed cos that little lot would have cost me over £100
around here in 1 year old crowns alone.

Has anyone seen the price of Blackberries in supermarkets? I nearly fell
over when the small punnet in Tesco was £1.57. I like them and you can
buy a cane for only about a fiver or you could ask around and you might
get a tip layer for next to nothing. I`d certainly look at soft fruit if
you like it.

Believe it or not, I`d go for stuff that's rather nice when it`s fresh.
That means to me, sweetcorn and peas. I simply do not eat fresh peas
from a supermarket any more simply because they are NOT. Over 2 hours
from picking and you may as well have frozen peas because at least they
are frozen at as close as their best as can be. Sweetcorn again
deterioates quicker than anything I know. Put a pan on the stove, pick
the sweetcorn and run to the kitchen whilst preparing the corn on the
way.

Tomato's have a better flavour when fresh (to my taste buds) than shop
bought. Plus you can always actually go for a variety you like.